If you are planning a state to state move soon, determining the number of boxes you need to accomplish the job shouldn’t be an overwhelming task.
As there is no actual system to box acquisition, the experts have certain tips you can follow to prevent over-buying or buying too few.
Don’t get yourself hanging to pack your books or spend your money on additional boxes you don’t need.
Even though it is challenging to figure out the exact quantity before starting, a lot of factors will be considered, and there are a lot of ballpark moving estimates depending on the size of your home. These factors include:
What do you have?
The factor of how much belongings you have largely depended on:
- Square footage of your current home: Your home’s size will determine the number of boxes it will need to pack it up. A lot of work is required to pack up a mansion compared to packing up a studio apartment.
Providing a certain number of moving boxes per your house’s square foot is difficult since it will be determined by how the square footage is being used.
- The quantity of bedrooms/residents: About 40 to 50 boxes are required for each room in the house. It sounds much, but immediately you begin to pack your items in boxes, you will see how fast they fill. Check the number of boxes per each household member to get a starting point on the quantity you need.
- How long you’ve lived in the place: You probably accumulate more and more items in the home you’ve lived for several years. If you’ve to stay in the same house for several years, consider the number of items you’ve gathered. You can either begin to dispose of it before moving or buying more moving boxes to haul it to the new place.
- Your lifestyle: You (if a minimalist) can get a few boxes from these counts we are offering. If you tend to hoard or are sentimental, then buy more boxes.
Providing answers to the above will guide you through the process of getting the estimated number of boxes you need.
Also, what category of moving box do you need? Let’s quickly look at this.
Standard Moving Boxes – Types and Sizes
These are made from 100% recyclable cardboard and are available in 4 sizes such as small, medium, large, and extra-large. These are the boxes that are mostly required to pack up your household belongings.
They are in four different sizes:
- Small moving box: It has an approximate size of 18 by 18 by 16,1.5 cubic feet capacity, and 65lbsgross weight limit.
- Medium moving box: It has an approximate size of 16 by 12 by 12, 0 cubic feet capacity, and 65lbsgross weight limit.
- Large moving box: It has an approximate size of 18 by 18 by 24,5 cubic feet capacity, and 65lbsgross weight limit.
- Extra-large moving box: It has an approximate size of 24 by 18 by 24,0 cubic feet capacity, and65lbsgross weight limit.
Specialty Moving Boxes
Also, with the standard cardboard boxes highlighted above, you may need to pack books, personal documents, kitchen items, pictures, clothes, and so on with a lot of specialty boxes. These include:
- Wardrobe boxes: It is ideal for transporting hanging clothes with no chance of damage to your costly garments. Wardrobe boxes are available in three sizes: small (24 by 24 by 34), 11.3 cu/ft., and available at approximately $11.The medium size is 18 by 18 by 46, 8.6 cu/ft., and available at approximately $12.Large size is24 by 24 by 48, 11.3 cu/ft., and available at approximately $14.
- Dish barrel boxes:It is ideal for packing and moving breakable stuff like glasses, kitchen plates, or fragile antique items. Dish packs are double-padded for increased protection. Dish barrel boxes come in 18 by 18 by 28, 5.25 cu/ft of capacity, and available at $6 approximately.
- Book boxes: It is perfect for packing and moving heavy books. The book box dimensions are 12 by 12 by 12, 1.0cu/ft capacity, and available at $1.25 capacity.
- Mirror and picture boxes: These are designed to offer protection for frame during relocation, including mirrors, photos, pictures, painting, and other similar framed artwork.
Picture boxes are available in three sizes: standard (37 by 4 by 27, 2.3 cu/ft capacity, and at approximate $5), large (48 by 4 by 32, 3.9 cu/ft., and at approximate $7), and four-piece box (around 40 by 60 by 31/2 cu/ft, and at approximate $8).
Standard Moving Boxes – Types, Sizes, and Prices
Different Moving Boxes
Gross weight limit(lbs.)
18 x 18 x 16
16 x 12 x 12
18 x 18 x 24
24 x 18 x 24
24 x 24 x 34
Dish barrel boxes
18 x 18 x 28
12 x 12 x 12
Mirror and picture boxes
37 x 4 x 27
What Quantity of Moving Boxes do you need per Size of Home?
Just as you know, the entire amount of cardboard containers will be based on the factors mentioned above. Certainly, other vital factors can also be required in figuring out that quantity.
Still, they will be exact, and you are in control in considering them when buying brand-new cardboard boxes or collecting used relocation boxes.
The following quantities of moving boxes should be expected for two persons living a normal lifestyle based on the number of bedrooms in your home.
1. Studio Apartment
Check below the number of boxes you will need to pack up a studio apartment for a move:
- 16 medium moving boxes
- 14 large moving boxes
- 8 extra-large moving boxes
- 4 wardrobe moving boxes
- 3 picture moving boxes
2. 1-Bedroom Apartment
Below are a typical number of boxes to make available to pack a one-bedroom apartment for moving:
- 21 medium moving boxes
- 17 large moving boxes
- 9 extra-large moving boxes
- 4 wardrobe moving boxes
- 4 picture moving boxes
3. 2-Bedroom Apartment
What quantity of boxes will I need to pack a two-bedroom apartment for a move?
- 31 medium moving boxes
- 23 large moving boxes
- 11 extra-large moving boxes
- 4 wardrobe boxes
- 6 picture boxes
4. 3-Bedroom House
The following quantity of moving boxes will be needed to pack a three-bedroom home for moving successfully:
- 46 medium boxes
- 32 large boxes
- 14 extra-large boxes
- 4 wardrobe boxes
- 9 picture boxes
Quantity of Moving Boxes by Square Feet
According to some experts, they state that a better way to calculate the approximate amount of moving boxes you will need to pack up your household belongings is to follow the square footage of your home and not by the number of rooms.
So, depending on the square footage of your home, below is a rough estimate of the number of cardboard boxes you will need:
Homes below 700 Sq-Ft
- Small boxes: 14
- Medium boxes: 11
- Large boxes: 5
- Extra-large boxes: 3
Homes from 700 Sq-Ft – 900 Sq-Ft
- Small boxes: 17
- Medium boxes: 15
- Large boxes: 7
- Extra-large boxes: 4
Homes from 900 Sq-Ft – 1200 Sq-Ft
- Small boxes: 23
- Medium boxes: 22
- Large boxes: 11
- Extra-large boxes: 6
Homes from 1200 Sq-Ft – 1600 Sq-Ft
- Small boxes: 32
- Medium boxes: 31
- Large boxes: 16
- Extra-large boxes: 10
Homes from 1600 Sq-Ft to 1800 Sq-Ft
- Small boxes: 37
- Medium boxes: 35
- Large boxes: 20
- Extra-large boxes: 12
Homes from 1800 Sq-Ft to 2200 Sq-Ft
- Small boxes: 42
- Medium boxes: 41
- Large boxes: 26
- Extra-large boxes: 15
How Many Moving Boxes do I need to relocate by Number of Rooms?
Generally, you will need about 10 small, 8 medium, and 5 large boxes per room for packing. This figure is just an estimate but since the size of rooms and contents can vary, below is a guide to follow on the number of boxes each room needs on average:
- Kitchen: The size of an average American kitchen is 160 square feet. Packing up a kitchen of this site implies that you will need 2 – 4 small moving boxes, 5 – 6 medium moving boxes, 3 – 4 medium boxes, 2 – 4 large moving boxes, as well as 1 – 2 extra-large moving boxes.
- Living room: You should be able to easily pack up your living room unless you use it as a library or museum. You will need between two and four small boxes, three to four medium moving boxes, two and four large moving boxes, and one to two extra-large moving boxes.
- Dining room: Do you have your fine dishes in the dining room? Ensure there is protection for them in dish barrel boxes. Make sure you have 1 – 2 small packing boxes, 1 or 2 medium boxes, and 2 – 4 dish barrel boxes for the entire room.
- Master bedroom: Your master bedroom is likely to need the most boxes of all the bedrooms. Prepare for 1 – 3 small moving boxes, 5 or 6 medium boxes, 5 to 8 large moving boxes, and 4 to 6 wardrobe boxes. Also, the size of your closet will affect the number of boxes you need to relocate your bedroom, so get the exact number of boxes to move your clothes.
- All other bedrooms: These numbers are not stable based on the owner of the room. Your teenage daughter, for example, will possibly own more hanging clothes than your four-year-old. Generally, you should have 1 or 2 small boxes, 3 to 5 medium moving boxes, 3 to 5 extra-large moving boxes, and 2 to 4 wardrobe boxes.
- Bathroom: Based on your bathroom, you may require two or three small moving boxes and 1 medium packing box.
Also, don’t forget to purchase moving boxes for any item you are moving from the laundry room, garage, attic, and basement. You don’t want to run out of boxes and have to rush out at the last minute to get packing boxes to move your tools and camping items.
The major thing you need to note is that there is no solid rule about the number of boxes you need because it generally depends on the number of items you own. So you can take self-inventory of the number of boxes you need, but take it easy and carefully come up with the right answer.
The best option to get the exact sizes and varieties of boxes for your move is to contact your state to state movers.
They are experienced in the field will help your figure out your needs based on your provided moving details.