How Much Does It Cost to Move in New York?
Moving in or to New York City can take a lot of time and effort to sort out. There are a lot of logistics that you need to take care of, and you want to be sure that you have enough money set aside for the whole thing. How can you be sure that you get everything in order?
If you’re looking to move in NYC, your best bet is to go ahead and use a moving cost calculator and start to put together all of the numbers that you’ll need in order to make sure that you’re ready to go. That being said, we’re going to help you explore a lot of details around what you need to do to prepare for your move.
How Much Does a Mover Cost in NYC?
Movers are going to cost different amounts based on a variety of factors, so you want to be sure that you have everything in order and ready to go with it. Here are some of the things that you need to be sure that you keep in mind while you’re trying to calculate what is necessary here.
- If you’re moving from one part of the city to another, it’s likely going to be referred to as a local move. In those cases, you are going to pay per mover per hour. Typically, you will need 3 movers to take care of things, and you could be paying those movers anywhere between $30 and $70 an hour. So, as a result, you’ll be paying between $90 and $210 an hour for your moving crew.
- If you’re moving long-distance, the estimate is not quite as clear-cut. It will likely include things like mileage, amount of stuff that you’re taking, what part of the city that you’re looking to move to, and how large of a vehicle that you have to take with you. The average long-distance move from the city could be anywhere from $3,000 to $9,000 depending on those factors.
Obviously, other details may come into play, and these are only estimates based a variety of factors. You want to be sure that you contact your moving company ahead of time to ensure that you know what you’ll be paying and what goes into the estimate that you’ve requested from your moving company.
How Much Does it Cost to Move from SF to NYC?
A cross-country move like what you’d experience from San Francisco to New York City is going to be expensive, depending on how you take care of things.
On average, a cross country move is estimated to cost anywhere between $6,000 and $10,000. What is included in the estimate that you’ll get from your moving company? Here are just a few things that will likely be included in that estimate.
- Distance of your move: How far are you moving? San Francisco to New York is one of the furthest cross-country moves you can deal within the country, and your movers will use that distance to determine how much your move may cost.
- How many bedrooms your current home has: The number of bedrooms in your home is going to let your movers know approximately how many boxes that you may be moving during the moving process. The more bedrooms that you have, the more items that will need to be moved, and the longer that it will take to get your move completed.
- Weight of your items: If you have a lot of furniture and other heavy items, it’ll be more difficult to move everything and things like gas are going to cost more because you’re dealing with the weight of the vehicle. Heavier items also take more effort to move and may require your moving team to have more people on it.
- Transporting your vehicle: How do you plan on sending your vehicle to your new home? Are you going to be driving it there yourself? If so, then you need to think about concerns like wear and tear. If not, you’ll have to price out services like car shipping services and whatnot to make sure that your vehicle is transported safely. These can cost a few hundred dollars, and there may be delays related to how quickly they can get your car back to you.
- Tolls and other transportation-related costs: Tolls, gas, and other costs may be included in your moving costs if you get an estimate from a moving company. Or, you may have to pay them afterward – it depends on the company you go with, and they’ll let you know this as a part of the estimate that they provide for you.
As you can see, there are a lot of considerations to be made in relation to a cross country move, and each one of those answers is going to help you get a more accurate estimate before you start the moving process. Looking at the big picture of everything around your move can make it easier for you to laser-focus and start saving up for your move in a way that will help you pay for everything.
How Much Will it Cost to Move?
It all depends! If you’re thinking about hiring professional movers (which is always better because it reduces your stress and anxiety and prevents injuries), then you’re considering a cost of at least $500, if not more. Your local moving company will do everything possible to get your move completed as quickly as possible, and they charge an hourly rate.
Local moves are going to be significantly cheaper than what you’ll find with long distance moves, but the additional cost is well worth it for many people.
If the move is further than what can normally be done within a day, then you will have to calculate some additional costs regarding storage and such. The cost of your long distance move will likely start somewhere around $3,000, and could end up at $7000 or more, especially if a long-distance move is in your future.
If you take care of the move on your own, it could end up being significantly less, but then you’re going to be responsible for finding people to help you move, figuring out which vehicle you need to rent, and sorting out the information around moving day. You want to have drinks and food for the people that are helping you, and you want to be sure that you have enough hands on deck in order to actually accomplish your goals and reduce the stress that you may be feeling about the moving process.
As they say, “time is money”, and if you want to save time and headache, you may want to spend a little bit of cash to get professional movers to deal with all of those logistics for you.
These are professionals who really know the business and can help you with a lot of the specific details around what it is that you need to accomplish for your move. And, they can also make sure that things go more quickly on moving day.
How Much Does it Cost to Move a 1 Bedroom Apartment?
A one-bedroom apartment is one of the cheaper things that you may be looking to move, so it’s going to cost a lot less than if you had a larger apartment or a home with multiple bedrooms.
On average, you’re going to look at paying about $100 per hour for your moving company – that includes 2 movers and the truck or van that they will be used for transport. If you’re moving a one-bedroom apartment, it’s only going to take 3 to 6 hours to get it done, depending on how much stuff you have and if you get other services (packing/unpacking, assembly, and disassembly, etc.). Your local move will likely be from $300 to $600.
Long-distance moves are another thing entirely. If you’re moving over 100 miles, your one-bedroom apartment move is still likely going to cost at least $1,000.
As mentioned earlier in this blog, the further you go, the more money that you are going to end up spending when all is said and done. But, because the weight of your items is likely to be significantly less and you have fewer of them, you can still ensure that your move is going to be relatively affordable.
Pricing Van Lines is here to help you sort out the details and ensure that you’ve got everything ready to go. We’re a top-end moving company that is ready to make sure that your NYC move is ready to go.
See what you can figure out and we will work with you to ensure that you’ve got everything in order and ready to go, no matter what that looks like or how you want your move to be executed. Contact us today and we’ll help you to start scheduling all of the details of your move with ease.