15 Easy DIY Home Improvement Ideas
Your home should be seen as an investment and as a result of this, you should continue to introduce new features that will not only make it look more beautiful but will also add value to your home. These improvements will make your home have more worth should you decide to put it up for sale or for rent. Interestingly, a couple of these home improvement ideas that you can incorporate into your home are things you can do on your own.
Whether in your kitchen, sitting room, bedroom, or walkways, there are opportunities to improve your home either to make it look beautiful or modern as the case may be. We will take a look at some great ideas you can incorporate in your home and this can be any part of your home; kitchen, bathroom, sitting room, or bedroom.
15 Super Easy DIY Improvement Ideas
- Replace Your Countertops: For a more modern and dramatic kitchen look, you can decide to remodel the countertops in your kitchen. It will require some time of commitment on your path and decision making on what type of material and color choices to go for. You can decide to go for a concrete or granite kitchen countertop; whichever one you go for make sure it is going to suit your kitchen style and also stand the test of time. You can decide to go for reclaimed wood to create a rustic vibe or you might decide to go for shabby-chic with a concrete countertop.
- Install a Dishwasher: Installing a dishwasher will help you to conserve water and you will be able to cut cost on your water and electric bills. You can install a dishwasher on your own without having to call a plumber or electrician. All you need to do is take your time to read through the installation process and you can as well look up for tips on the internet, and trust me, it is easier than you can imagine.
- Organize Your Closet: Organizing your closet does not cost any money or require any tools, it will make a big difference in your home. Do the same thing you would do before moving into a new home, clean your entire closet by sorting various items into befitting positions, sort your clothes appropriately. If you have the means, you can invest in a few closet organizers, or you could work with the ones you have by cleaning them up so that you can have enough space for a whole lot of things in your wardrobe. To make things look fresh, you can vacuum and scrub the closet thoroughly before putting back your clothes, this will make the whole place look nice again.
- Install Adhesive Veneers: It is very easy to install adhesive veneers. Adhesive veneers are wall coverings that give the illusion of texture. If you are patient enough, you will be able to steadily add a faux brick wall to your bedroom or a shiplap-inspired backsplash to your kitchen. Whichever one you add or even if you add the two, it will give your space an updated appearance that looks more beautiful without a total overhaul.
- Contain All Cords: Cords flying or hanging round in your home can make the entire space look messy. Try to contain Television and cable cords so that they are not scattered next to your TV or nightstand. Get all cords snaking from your desk to the wall out of sight, there are a few tricks to get this done; you can hide them behind the walls or use other crafty options to streamline and hid your cords.
- Enhance Your Entry: The interior entryway is the first point anybody gets to see and remember that first impression lasts longer. Hence, it is important that you ensure your entryway gets the desired uplift in terms of design and other decors. You can install a vintage entry lantern, a new rug, a bench, and hooks to enhance the style of the space. Ensure the design is a good combination of ideas that provides both function and fashion, and it should reflect the aesthetic of other parts of your home.
- Change Old Fixtures: In order to give your home a lift, it is important that you change old fixtures and you will be amazed at the beauty the new fixtures will add to your home. Swap frosted glass pendants in your kitchen for more contemporary glass globe fixtures. Install Edison bulbs, hang a chandelier in strategic places like your master bedroom, replace old fans and lighting fixtures by installing new ceiling fans and lighting fixtures. As far as the wirings are still okay, installing these new fixtures become easier. Changing your lighting fixtures is one of the conspicuous things you can do to improve your home as these fixtures are easily noticeable.
- Install Shelves in Unused Corners: It is a common sight to see unused corners in homes, these unused corners can be put to good use by adding one or two shelves or furniture just to beef things up a little bit. Installing extra shelves that match the original home set up will afford you the opportunity of having more storage place for your items. It will only require a little woodwork here and there and finishing to make it look good and you sure would like it as the final look is going to be worth your time and effort.
- Create Space for your Pet: When setting up your home try as much as possible to always have your pets in mind. Incorporate space for your pets while setting up your home, use pet décor, pet teepees, fancy water fountains, on-the-wall cat jungle gyms to make your pets comfortable at home and to also enhance the overall outlook of your home.
- Make Your tile and Grout Look Fresh: In the real sense, it is almost impossible to keep a clean tile and grout, stains will always find a way to disfigure the walls but you can as well clean them up and try as much as possible to avoid these stains. In other to make your tile and grout free from stains, use tile refinishing kit and designated tub; follow the instructions to clean the stains off and get your tile and grout looking just as clean as ever. For example, if you do this regularly in your bathroom, it will continue to look new every passing day.
- Change Cabinet Hardware: New cabinet hardware will give your cabinets in the kitchen or bathroom a dramatic uplift that will make it all look new. New cabinets are expensive but you can give your existing cabinets an uplift with the use of cabinet hardware. To do this, take a measure of the length between the drill holes of your existing hardware s that you can have an idea of the right size to get. Choose a style that will complement the current style of your cabinets to maintain a beautiful look. This same technique is also applicable to giving your dresser drawers in the bedroom an updated new look.
- Install Mirrors on the Wall: Mirrors have a way of bringing illumination into the home space, it makes the room appear to be bigger than it actually is. Buy as many mirrors as you can and install them in areas of the home where you think can bring a bit of brightness into the room. Replace old mirrors that are looking blurred or boring in your home, whether in your bedroom or in the bathroom.
- Go for Something That Glows: Bringing enough illumination into your home is something that makes your home glow, it will completely change the ambiance and aura of your home. Replace dull-looking bulbs with calming yellow ones, go for LEDs because of their durability and energy consumption. You can also maximize your home’s internal glow by installing dimmers in places with light switches, this will enable you to set the brightness in each room to what suits you depending on the time of the day and your mood.
- Paints and New Pull: One way to give your home an uplift is to paint areas that are looking old. You can go around your apartment to touch-up areas where the existing paint has chipped or is peeling. There is no better way to update your home other than adding coats of paints. You can also paint your kitchen and bathroom cabinets as well if you feel the colors are looking outdated.
- Pimp Your Furniture: If you have old furniture and you don’t want to go for new ones or change them completely, you can rejig what you presently have through a number of creative ways. You can consider re-painting, using adhesive contact paper to add designs and shapes, and reupholstering. Doing this can go a long way in making your furniture look new and it will give your space an uplift.
Moving to A New Home
If you are moving into a new home, you need to have a moving checklist of items you wish to put in place like you need to have your internet working, the gas running and electricity supply intact. Hence, it is important that you plan on getting these facilities working before you move so that you do not get stranded in any way.
Call for your interior décor expert to get things together for you and make sure you intimate them with what you want and the perfect combination you want for your home.
Advantages of Home Improvement
There is no better way to add an improvement or upliftment to your home other than putting the fallen pieces together. It requires you to be observant enough in order to see areas that need improvement and also have as much creativity that is needed to carry out the needed tasks on your own.
Improving your home from time to time will help to add value to it and when you wish to rent the apartment to suitors or you want to sell the property, it will worth more if it’s looking new and good. Consider your home as an investment and it should be treated as such.